Saturday, May 15, 2010

Recovery Community Rocks!!!

Today we had the hardest working group of young men finish gutting the house. My uncle hooked us up with Recovery Community and they came over with about 12 guys to put in community service. It is a great organization that works with my uncle's drug court. Lyn and Emily headed up the group that came out. They brought breakfast, lunch, and a lot of supplies. They were wonderful. The guys were great and wouldn't let mom or me do any hard work. As soon as we would lift, push, or do anything that required effort one of them were jumping in and taking over. It was much needed since mom's shoulder and back has been hurting. They had no idea she needed a break. We have trouble taking breaks while so many people are working. You just can't sit back while someone is working in your house. It just seems wrong. However, with these guys we seemed in their way. At one point we heard a chain saw and turned around to see one of them cutting up a fallen tree in her field. They truly were a blessing to have out.

Also, three teachers I work with came out and helped. Mrs. Brooks showed up early and helped sort & pack. She talked about helping us replace some of Caleb's books and restoration of the 8 mm film. Mrs. Brooks is the librarian at my school. Ms. Davis came out again to help and brought medicine for the horses. She put the medication on the horses' wounds while mom held the rein and I gave the horses feed. I am sure we were entertaining to anyone watching. Ms. Davis was very courageous to put medication on a horse's back leg. Don't worry she didn't get kicked. Mrs. Ravech brought her husband and they joined in with the guys from Recovery Community and worked so hard. They helped in gutting the garage and tearing out the pine boards in the kitchen.

It is hard for me to stay working on one project when we have a large amount of people. I couldn't tell you how many times someone was hollering my name to ask a question or see what needed to be done next. I am glad I can organize the work but I really know nothing about construction or demolishing a house. I guess as long as I act like I know what I am doing maybe no one will notice. I just listen to what my cousin, Joe, has said needed to be done and gone from there. Luckily no one has asked how to do the things I told them needed to be done. If someone would have asked how to take out the toilet, sinks, or tubs I would have laughed. I have no clue. I just know how to use the toilet, sink, and tubs.

At one point someone broke a pipe and water was going everywhere. The guy was apologizing and felt bad. I laughed and joked about that being nothing compared to the amount of water we had in the house a couple of weeks ago. Casey and another guy took off running to the road to shut of the water. Dad ended up closing the pipe and we tried turning the water back on. We found out someone cut another pipe and had to shut it off again. Dad is going to come out Sunday and fix the water leak. We wouldn't want to get anything wet.

We finished around 1:30 and after everyone left my dad mowed the yard. Mom and me tried to clean-up around the yard. It looks so much better. We were able to come home and clean up to go to the 5 o'clock service at church. I love to go to church on Saturday nights so I can sleep in guilt free on Sunday mornings. Afterwards mom, Caleb, and me went to Kohls to get them some clothes. A manager checked us out and was telling us about one time her home was destroyed in a tornado. She started to tear up talking with us about how much she understood what we were going through. She ended up giving them 30% off their purchase. We stopped by target for a few things then went out to eat. It was a relaxing evening and hopefully everyone will get a good night sleep. I think this house is lacking in that area. If we keep having trouble sleeping we will resort to eating Benadryll for a late night snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment